Saturday, November 7, 2009

apartment tour

A hill is a house for an ant, an ant.
A hive is a house for a bee.
A hole is a house for a mole or a mouse
And a house is a house for me!

-A HOUSE IS A HOUSE FOR ME by Mary Ann Hoberman

A HOUSE IS A HOUSE FOR ME is one of the picture books I remember vividly from my childhood. Even now I can recite impressive chunks of it from memory and some of the illustrations are preserved perfectly in my mind.

For some time now I've been planning to show you my house. Or at least, the one I'm living in at the moment. But, you know, taking a lot of pictures of a basement apartment requires good light (you'll see I compromised a bit on this one, but a gifted photographer I am not!) and a lot of time and energy. And getting all of those things at once can be tricky!

I knew, though, that when I did get around to making this post I'd want to quote Mary Ann Hoberman's book. In fact, I've had that quote typed up and sitting in an otherwise empty blogger draft for weeks now.

Would you like to see where we live?

This is Aunt Katie and Tim's house. They are generous enough to let us live in their basement apartment while we get on our feet!



They built this incredible fire pit. It's so awesome to sit out by the fire at night.



This is the view from our front door.






Inside, the front door leads to our kitchen!



This is where the magic happens, baby!



Sometimes, I look out the window when I do dishes, and I see cows.



Really. Cows. See?



If you come over for dinner (and you know you want to) this is where you'll be sitting.



Hello, lover.



We're in the frozen tundra, here, so we have a lot of sweatshirts and coats and jackets at our fingertips.



Because I am a lucky, lucky girl I get to wear David's old hockey jacket when my own hoodies just won't do the trick.




The livingroom is where we spend most of our time.



I LOVE this little stove. At night when it's cold---even under an afghan--we light a little fire while we read and listen to music. Blissful!




And we're always reading. (Catch a glimpse of PW's cookbook? More on that in the future!)



I approve of David's bookmark!



This is the livingroom window.



The view can be really breathtaking.




Oooooh!



Hi guys!



On to the bedroom!







We even have a guest room!



Here's some pictures of the surrounding area. These views are pretty everyday for me. I see them on my way to job interviews, on my way to the farmers' market, on my way to :::cringe::: Walmart...

Stunning scenery!









And that's where we live! Definitely a big change from New York City. A big change from the suburbs of Massachusetts, even. We're so lucky to have family out here helping us out and giving us an amazing place to stay! We'll never be able to thank you enough. Truly!

(I've got to admit though, that I still miss the ocean something fierce). 

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! You guys look so much at home here. Can't wait to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, the house is awesome, I'm really happy for you, but I admit to understanding your homesickness for the ocean. I grew up in Peabody like you did, and when Roger and I got married, we moved to Buffalo for 4 years. We actually lived very very close to Lake Ontario and it was beautiful and had waves, and we were even near Niagra Falls, but....I missed the ocean constantly. And when I was growing up, we weren't even really beach people, that much, but, not having it, or the ability to see it whenever I was so inclined to drive the six or so miles to it, drove me nuts for four years. Good luck, however, in your new home, I love your views and your "visitors".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey,
    It's so nice to have an idea of what your life is like in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Have you named your mixer, big red, bomber, rusty? I think you are so lucky to have David, and David's family. Please tell them that I appreciate all that they're doing for you. M/W looks breathtaking! I think you're going to be very happy there. And remember the ocean is only a visit away.
    I love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the book? I remember that book vividly, I'll have to look for it here if you don't have it. xox Mom

    ReplyDelete