Saturday, February 20, 2010

sick island


I am teetering on the edge of getting sick. I have the very beginnings of a sore throat, some congestion, and am generally feeling a little bit lethargic and achy. Since I'm still currently unemployed (ugh) I have the time to try to fend off this cold before it becomes full blown and ruins the next several days of my life. In other words, I'm doing a lot of resting. Hence, I've been hanging out in my Sick Island lately.

Now, if you are already super sick and miserable and want to die because you can't remember what it's like to breathe out of your nose or to not have your brain fried by fever then a Sick Island cannot help you. Go to bed, sleep it off, pray for death, whatever you've got to do. A Sick Island is only truly effective to either stave off that misery or to help you recover from it. A Sick Island is best used when you just barely have the energy to get to the bathroom and back without wanting to die, or when you can now only sleep for three hours at a time during the day, instead of seven. A Sick Island comes into play when you're still too sick to do anything like go to work or class, but you're also bored out of your freaking mind because you're too sick to do anything

I like to make my Sick Islands on the couch because usually by the time I make them I've been bed-ridden for a few days and need a change of scene. 

Here's what you'll need to do:

Get some clean, cool sheets, cozy blankets, and a pillow and make the couch all nice and comfortable. Think of it as a snuggly little nest. 

This is a Sick Island because essentially you're going to strand yourself here for the rest of the day. You want to gather everything you'll need or want and put it within reach, because you want to move as infrequently as possible. 



Tissues are a must, and I like to pull out a little trash can and set it right by the couch, so that I don't have piles of used tissues surrounding me. 

TV remote is essential. I'll just throw on the Food Network, or watch marathons of reality shows like Top Chef or America's Next Model or whatever. Anything that doesn't require too much brain power. This week, though, I've been watching the Olympics non-stop. What is so riveting about curling? I don't know, but I CANNOT stop watching it!

Tea, tea, tea. With honey and lemon if you've got a sore throat. I fill up my thermos with hot water so that I can have several cups in a row and minimize my trips to the kitchen! And of course orange juice. I also love ginger ale when I'm sick. And even though I rarely have an appetite while I'm sick, I'll usually keep a packet of Saltines close by, especially if I have an upset stomach.

You should also have something around to amuse yourself with when TV gets boring. Normally, I'd have a small stack of books nearby, but David picked up this little origami flower kit for Kelly Riley Day 2010* and I've been obsessed with it ever since!

I'm a huge baby when I'm sick, so I usually need to snuggle with my stuffed animals for a little while, too. If I'm really, really lucky Durp will come snuggle with me for a little while, too. 

Once you've got everything you need, nestle in and don't leave unless you've got to! Nap, relax, heal!

It also helps to have a super wonderful person around to take care of you when you're sick. David has offered to make home-made chicken soup (he makes the chicken stock himself and everything!) if I'm still not feeling well later this weekend. I am feeling a bit more energetic at the moment, but I might have to fake it. Who could pass up homemade soup?!


*a blog post about Kelly Riley Day 2010 is forthcoming!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Kelly:

    I miss you! Feel better.

    Love always,
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you and Maura were young sick islands also had a large blanket on the floor. It was placed in front of the couch that was covered in clean sheets, cozy pillows, and blankets. The blanket on the floor was there to hold all of the toys that could not be contained by the couch. The blanket on the floor was also part of the 'island'. Sick children were not allowed to leave the sick island until they were better. Feel better soon. I can's wait to hear about Kelly Riley day 2010.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same Origami flower book! My SIL and I spent an evening making some and I still have the bamboo flowers. :) Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee ,I was Sick too this week, if I knew about your Island I would have come and hung out with you, next time I'll make reservations. Feel better girl..

    ReplyDelete